Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pure Pleasures

I found myself reflecting on the wonder of pleasure this morning. In the moment we expereince a pure pleasure we get to taste heaven. For just that moment all that is wrong in the world falls away. I can not even begin to comprehend a life filled completely with pleasure.






If heaven is the abscence of sin, grief, sorrow it will be like those precious moments. And so if I stop and enjoy and reflect on the moments I have now I become that much more alive and closer to heaven.



The key is for my pleasure to be pure. There are pleasures that I can indulge in that will leave me feeling guilty, harm my body or hurt others. Those are really more distractions than true pleasures.





Then there is pure pleasure. Pleasure that I can savor and remember with no guilt attached. Pleasure that not only does not harm my body but actually makes it better. Pleasures that can be shared with others and draw them closer to heaven as well.








Those pleasures are what I want to find. They are what I want to fill my life with. They are the pleasures I long to share with others. And for a moment now we can taste heaven and all that it will have to offer.
Acknowledgements: Gary Thomas has written a very good book on pleasure called Pure Pleasure which has had an influence on me. Debbie Wolfe is the creator of the wonderful pizza shown above and well worth the day long drive to get it.

1 comment:

  1. I love that first photo - what a great look of pure joy! Thanks for the thoughts... I'll be chewing on this today.

    ReplyDelete